any suggestions

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redbridge
Known user

any suggestions

Post by redbridge »

im very into the old verve music. songs like "already there" "a beautiful mind" and "feel" just put me in another world. i love the way nick mccabe plays on those tracks, and the ambient and beautiful lyrics richard ashcroft added to them. so here is the question. for thos of you that know those songs and that sound, do any of you have suggestions on other bands musicians that create worlds of sound like that. the closest i could find was sigur ros, who are simply amazing, but lack the lyrics of the the verve. mogwai sometimes comes close, but also lacks the lyrics. but all in all can anyone help me out here? anything even close would be a lot of help as i am desperate for new material.
red+bridge=good
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

dude as i am taking a break drinking beer in the california sun.

i will tell ya a few things ya may like...

o.k.

it all starts and ends with MONKEY MAN!

1.STONE ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get everything they ever did!
2.RIDE SMILE
3.THE SMASHING PUMPKINS GISH is goddamn good.
4.NIRVANA Nevermind
5.THE COCTEAU TWINS BOXSET
6.LUSH 4AD COLLECTION
7.SONIC YOUTH GOO
8.MY BLOODY VALENTINE GLIDER
9.MY BLOODY VALENTINE LOVELESS
10.OASIS DEFINATELY MAYBE
11.OASIS WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORY
12.SONIC BOOM SOUL KISS
13.SONIC BOOM HIGHS LOWS & HEAVENLY BLOWS

start there and fuck off.
man
Known user

Post by man »

i loved verve too. for some looser, trippier stuff you could try:

jackie-o motherfucker
ghost
six organs of admittance

as all of them have some mighty, sprawling, accoustic-based stuff. ghost sound similar to verve to me at times, reverby guitar albeit with japanese folk influences too! good bands, i hope you like them
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Try Voyager One. After all, they took there name from the Verve bootleg.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

'Explosions in the sky' might turn you on mate.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

SHIT MAN, NOBODY SOUNDS LIKE THE VERVE. MY RECOMMENDATION WOULD BE TO FIND MORE VERVE STUFF. I HAVE A GREAT BOOTLEG CALLED "B-SIDES AND OTHER RAREITIES" THAT YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN. MAYBE WE CAN WORK OUT A TRADE OF SOME KIND.

INTRANAUT
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I dunno, I'm just not getting it (the Verve). Sounds like derivative, echo-laden wankery. I'll also admit that I was never completely blown away by the Stone Roses and Oasis either. They both had some great songs but I don't think they are worthy of deification. It must be an "English" thing.....
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ouch! prepare to be flamed.

you might want to try cleaning your ears out. or maybe a different message board. i mean i can understand not liking oasis, maybe even the verve, but for christ sakes man the STONE ROSES!!!! you have some serious issues to work out.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s heres to you for being honest man, cheers.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I never said I didn't like those guys, I just feel they've been overrated. I remember all the hype surrounding the release of Second Coming and the ultimate disappointment that it turned out to be. Music critics everywhere were dissecting and disseminating it as though it were some recently discovered, ancient religious tract!
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

Although nothing like early Verve try Giant Steps by The Boo Radleys and How To Operate With a Blown Mind by The Lo Fidelity Allstars for some interesting tunes.

A good Verve CD, if you haven't got it, is No Come Down.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Ignore ALL Oasis, ignore anything from The Stone Roses after the first album(the same applies for The Verve) and cast your net further....
There are soo many albums to look for outside of these narrow confines but head towards The Telescope 'Taste' where you will become fulfilled....
Enjoy.....
redbridge
Known user

Post by redbridge »

well just to let you guys know i am very much into the stone roses, oasis, my bloody valentine and so forth. as for getting more verve tunes i honestly have all there is to get. i own every verve album, single, almost every demo, and several live shows. also for those of you into spiritualized you might want to try trancendental. its from one of the members of spaceman and the early spiritualized. good stuff indeed. i even got the man to reply to my email. umm anyways im rambling. ive heard recently good things about a band called the appleseed cast and a band called the shore. any ideas?
red+bridge=good
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey runaway, i agree about second coming, its overblown and painfull to listen too. but their self-titled is monumental. and the earlier tracks are brilliant. sally cinnamon is amazing.

as for spacemanrob, you must be hard of hearing. or i got it, your tone deaf. that the only excuse i can think of.

xxxshonnxxx
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Mad Richard worked for a while but seriously lost it at the end....
Briefly he rocked and we i cared but the advent of Urban Hymn's destroyed him....
His solo efforts at best are shite and he destroyed any good memories of the man....
Hurts because once he could see the stars but he took the wrong drugs....
Intranaut
Known user

Post by Intranaut »

AND WHAT DRUGS MIGHT THOSE BE?

PERHAPS HE JUST TOOK NO DRUGS TOWARDS THE END.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

Intranaut wrote:AND WHAT DRUGS MIGHT THOSE BE?

PERHAPS HE JUST TOOK NO DRUGS TOWARDS THE END.
At the very least he was/is keen on nicotine and that's hardly a drug to inspire anyone towards any greatness other than a persistant wheezy cough that really fucks everyone off when you're in the cinema. :wink:

Recommendations would be -

The (previously mentioned) Telescopes but the self titled album in particular.

The Cure - Disintegration. If you've not heard it, then whatever you think about the singles from this album or any other Cure stuff (which I like as well) you might have heard, forget it and trust me on this one.

Kinski - be gentle with the warm turtle. Along the lines of Mogwai but (I think) alot better. It's all I've heard by them but there's a good bit more and it's been recommended to me as well if that counts for anything.

Other stuff (on the peaceful end of the scale) to try is Mazzy Star, Slowdive, Mojave 3.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Little known band Sciflyer are pretty good and have some nicely tripped out moments. Think their album is called Fair Weather Karma but I don't have it to hand. Also recommended are Suntan who sound a little like Loop but a little gentler and more spacier.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

If you're ever in Kansas city, check out a band who work out of there called Four Jacks and a Jill.
Artie Fufkin knows them.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Lt. Hookstratten, Entertainment officer, Lindburgh Air base Seattle Wa, actually.

kick my ass

Everyone likes a smartarse. That's right isn't it?
dr. strangelove
Known user

Post by dr. strangelove »

aaah will this do ?....you've just unlocked one of life's little mysteries i.e. "why have there been 40 odd visits to the Willie B. Malicious website from the US military ?"...would the guilty party please fall in ?