What's the deal with Jason and Sonic?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

radioshack
Known user

What's the deal with Jason and Sonic?

Post by radioshack »

I was just wondering what the relationship between these two guys is like these days? Do they still really hate each other or what?

Sorry if the question is a little naive, but I'm not as knowledgeable on all things Spacemen 3 as other people here, and I also heard that Sonic recently contacted Jason. Is this true?

Cheers.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Peter Kember sayes:

I saw Jason live in LA on the tour, it was less rocky than Spacemen days, with 10 people on stage. It was OK, but not a patch on what we were capable of. I sent Jason a note -- a peace offering with my new email, phone and address -- but nothing so far. I would actually very much like to work with him again. We were kids, expected to be adults. We fucked up.

http://www.3ammagazine.com/litarchives/ ... ldren.html

it still is fucked up.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

That's a pure shame isn't it? I don't think they should reunite musically though, it wouldn't be the same. I bet they do one day though, like the Velvet Underground or something.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I bet they don´t..
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Yeah, you're right. They won't. I don't think Jason would want to but Sonic would.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

so, if Pete has read the book, why can't the rest of us???
spacey

jason/sonic

Post by spacey »

i met jason before newcastle show last year, i took along my spacemen 3 cd's, and said to him ''would you mind??'' .. i had pete sign my cds previously and jason said it was quite a rarity to get him and sonic signing the same thing, but laughed and said things were cool

he pointed at ''taking drugs to make music...'' and said ''that was when we had it together'', before signing the cd, he disregarded ''recurring'' cd with a sigh but signed it too...

he also seemed puzzled at the space age stuff, it was as if he hadnt seen it before, he looked the cds up and down, flicked through the booklets etc

but didnt sonic say on his website that he went to see spiritualized this year in USA and all was OK between him and jason, i think they've buried the hatchet, they just dont work together or probs dont keep in touch that regularly

seems a similar situation to that of Lee Mavers & John Power, the mainstays of the La's, they split bitterly amongst a war of words and bitter tit for tat arguments through the music press, yet 10 years down the line they've swallowed pride and are recording again

... fingers crossed pete n jason may do the same

Post by Guest »

Spacey, no Sonic just went to see his show in L.A. and Jason didn't reply to his note. To no suprise at that. Sonic wants a reconciliation and Jason doesn't. Sonic fucked up and in previous articles he alluded to the fact that he shouldn't have started Spectrum within the Spacemen 3.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

More importantly, what's the deal with airline peanuts?

Infer what you wish.
dr. strangelove
Known user

Post by dr. strangelove »

Small. Very small.
Try an upgrade next time.
snakeseatinfrogs
Known user

Post by snakeseatinfrogs »

sometimes they give you two packs if you ask politely...
andy1

Post by andy1 »

Does Jason receive royaltys from all The SP3 stuff Sonic flogs on his site? He even sells old promo stuff and that. If they don`t speak, does J even know?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Ah yes – the Royalty payment mechanism. Everyone knows it works like this. There is a man sitting under the counter in every record shop, with a pencil and a big black book and a big pile of small brown envelopes. You never see him, but he’s there. Now when you go up to the counter with your record, or cd, he has to quickly copy out what it says on the spine in his notebook. Then he takes 70% of the money you give the cashier, and puts it into envelopes. Half of it goes to the record company, and the other half goes to the leader of the band. In the case of Spacemen 3 records, obviously that’s Sonic Boom.

Then, the next morning the postman comes with all the envelopes to Sonic’s door. Before he has his breakfast (which he eats with a mirror), he has to count all the money, and ‘divvy’ it up amongst the other people involved. Sometimes he forgets, and so there’s a huge backlog of small envelopes full of loose change blocking up his hallway. It’s so big that he can hardly open his door. Sometimes people get all angry with him, and say “oh, you’re keeping all my money, and I can’t afford food or shoes – I am going to start my own group, and trademark the name but be very scrupulous about posting the coins to my helpers.” (It soon catches up with them, and they in turn lose track of the envelopes, and so it goes – unkind people call it hypocrisy, but I think it’s just circumstances).

Your question about selling records off the internet; Of course to be able to do this, Sonic has had to apply to have a little man (in this case he sits under his kitchen table) to wait for the cheques and postal orders. The money doesn’t have to go in the post to Sonic though, that would be stupid. But it does go in envelopes, which are handed to him (upwards direction). Sonic’s then left with the chore of dividing up the money to Bassman, Spaceman and all the rest of the men and posting it. Unfortunately, you’ll remember he can’t open his door, so they never get posted. If only Jason WOULD talk to Sonic (go round for tea?), he’d be able to rescue his friend, receive all the pence he’s owed, and revive his friendship.

That’s why people like Paul McCartney and Sting have managers to help them count the money and post it to Denny Laine and Ringo (delete as applicable).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

andy1 wrote:Does Jason receive royaltys from all The SP3 stuff Sonic flogs on his site? He even sells old promo stuff and that. If they don`t speak, does J even know?
Sonic's version: 'Jason is sent royalty cheques'.

Jason's version: 'I've never seen any cheques'.

Version told to me personally by Steve and Gerald of Spaceage with accounts on hand to prove the point: Cheques are sent to Jason and someone is cashing them.

Old promos - whatever is their personal possession can be sold anyway without anyone having to get a slice - its the same as you and me flogging our old music. Its stuff that is royalty orientated (i.e. reissues) that generates money, and Spaceage proved to me that the right share goes Jason's way. So I know who I believe here.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

...which is the answer I was driving towards, but without the benefit of a generous nature, and proper inside information...as usual.
Ian

Post by Ian »

will this do? wrote:...which is the answer I was driving towards
But yours was funnier, if less informative!

Love,

Ian

Post by Guest »

radioshack wrote:Yeah, you're right. They won't. I don't think Jason would want to but Sonic would.

I would indeed work with Jason . I dont bear any ill will to him .
But I can guarantee , it would be I hope more akin to 'Smile' than the VU returning .
but I'm sure you would'nt want to go........
I was guestlisted for one of the London VU shows , and attended with a collapsed lung . I also left half-way thru , thoroughly dissapointed in Lou , and sorry for the ever brilliant Tucker/cale/morrison for having needed to abide that bullshit..................but then if anyones due some slack , it'd be Lou . pk
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Anonymous wrote:
radioshack wrote:Yeah, you're right. They won't. I don't think Jason would want to but Sonic would.

I would indeed work with Jason . I dont bear any ill will to him .
But I can guarantee , it would be I hope more akin to 'Smile' than the VU returning .
but I'm sure you would'nt want to go........
I was guestlisted for one of the London VU shows , and attended with a collapsed lung . I also left half-way thru , thoroughly dissapointed in Lou , and sorry for the ever brilliant Tucker/cale/morrison for having needed to abide that bullshit..................but then if anyones due some slack , it'd be Lou . pk
Hey, Sonic directly answered my post. Cool. It's an honour.

How are you doing these days? Unlike a lot of the other people, I'm kinda new to Spacemen 3, having got into them/you via Spiritualized and only being a nipper when you were originally operating. I've got to say that I'm a huge fan of your stuff that I have heard (I'm slowly building up the catalogue), and would definitely like to see you back making music with jason in any capacity. Your stuff has been really inspiring to me, and I think it would be great to hear some of the Spacmen stuff live.

I know some elitist people don't like seeing their favourite bands reuniting, but I think Spacemen 3 is the exception. Didn't you all promise to play one last gig? If it ever happens I would definitely be there. Of course, I don't know what really happened between the band, but I think, musically at least, there is unfinished business. I know a lot of people on this board did see the band live, but people like me didn't. Despite your VU story, I think you are all at the right age and the time is about right to do something together. The hardcore fans on this board, despite being Spiritualized fans, are the first to say that Spiritualized has lost it's way with the last record, so maybe the time is right.

If you do play again, make sure Will Carruthers is playing bass. He's a genius.

Sorry if this post was too gushy. Doubtless all the others will give me a hard time.

Take care

S
paulM

Post by paulM »

radioshack being a young nipper at the time exactly like i was .. if you are based in london or the south ....... do fancy having a jam you must know how to play a instrument even if it means feedback.

the sound im trying to create exactly is the message of john lee hooker and sam cooke ,the repitition of neu! , the minimlism of john cale the energy of tav falco behind the magnolia curtain era the beauty of brian wilson and the teenage anger of every pebbles compilation made.

i've worked on a three instrumental demo's so far and each song is a carbon copy of lazer guided melodies with me trying hard to come across as windchimes-esque beach boy's ...they are all good , the only problem is i can't handle doing all the instruments i need a band to help me and give me their influences

drone on

paul
paulM

Post by paulM »

if the spacemen were to do a reunion gig however.

the highlight for me would be if they did a 25 minute version of suicide ....... it is one the greatest tracks to be performed live

there haven't been a band since ,to pull off anything like that

anyone like the suicide track road to ruin on the way of life LP ? im trying to work out the words for an open mic night after xmas ill be using a sampler and guitar and hopefully i will pull it off ....if not fuck it
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey thanks paul and radioshack for bringing back some life and talk of music to this site.

to paul, if i were anywhere near you i would happily come by for a jam session. i'll be there in march if your free.

you gotta it paul, DRONE ON.

xxxshonnxxx
paulm

Post by paulm »

im a fucked up kid man ...... but if your up for meeting for a jam , im game if you are ........ i've been meeting people for jams alot ...... and the last one sang like david bowie mixed with damon albarn ....... instrumentally we we're like velvet underground on heat ........ moment he sang a few of my lyrics ....... it was like watching salt on a slug or to put in precise words ....like losing an erection on a night out on the piss.

i just can't find anyone who digs the same thing ......i want to form a band that stand for something , a thing which i think today's bands lack .

there is no music out today that make me cry,make me feel in touch with god whilst on drugs , there is no music which scares the shit out of me ....... fucking hell there isnt even a new band which scares me physically ....... i mean has anyone been scared shitless of the front cover of "song's the lord taught us" i think brian gregory is the bloke who is the fucker with frankenstein hair ......... you don't get scary blokes like him no more .
a beautiful noise
Known user

ahh c'mon my man, don't give up hope yet, the CRAMPS are still around.

xxxshonnxxx
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...but without Brian Gregory! He left donkeys years ago. No idea what happened to him - anyone know?
BZA

Post by BZA »

I don't think The Cramps even know...didn't he just disappear one night after a gig?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

He's passed away now. That buzz-saw noise he coaxed outta his guitar was amazing.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Don't know if Brians still alive, but for me he also stays an intrigueing figure, like Johnny Cash or (don't laugh) Ray Charles.
"Thank you"
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Anonymous wrote:
paulM wrote:radioshack being a young nipper at the time exactly like i was .. if you are based in london or the south ....... do fancy having a jam you must know how to play a instrument even if it means feedback.

the sound im trying to create exactly is the message of john lee hooker and sam cooke ,the repitition of neu! , the minimlism of john cale the energy of tav falco behind the magnolia curtain era the beauty of brian wilson and the teenage anger of every pebbles compilation made.

i've worked on a three instrumental demo's so far and each song is a carbon copy of lazer guided melodies with me trying hard to come across as windchimes-esque beach boy's ...they are all good , the only problem is i can't handle doing all the instruments i need a band to help me and give me their influences

drone on

paul
PaulM

I'm trying to start a band up here in boring old Scotland, it's just full of podgy kids listening to really bad pop/metal shit. Really, the local paper interviews these weans who think they're amazing when you know they're just going to be so shit.

I'm like you, I'm at my wits' end trying to find people with the passion, faith, or people who have even heard of Spacemen 3. It's depressing. The new bands are OK, but like you I just don't feel them, and they don't affect me so much.

I play guitar and am currently messing around with delays, tremolos, reverbs and stuff. I'm trying to write stuff, but also create that amazing mix that the Spacemen 3 did were its sonically amazing but also got a great songwriting feel to it. I used to think having no drummer was a severely limiting factor. Then I heard Playing With Fire.

You sound like the sort of person I need to be jamming with, but once again being Glaswegian holds me back. Maybe we should jack in real life and move into a studio like the Spacemen did, tour shitholes in Europe then end up hating one another. I'm up for it, I just wanna play in a good band-is it too much to ask?

Shonn, you need to join in too. Imagine a shitload of guitars on stage delayed and flanged like a bitch. I think we should play a Dreamweapon-syle gig outside my cinema whilst everyone is queuing up to see the new Star Wars movie next year.

Take care people

S
T'was me that originally posted this. I realised I hadn't logged in. Just so you guys know who posted it. Bye.
Swallowtail

Post by Swallowtail »

The post made by paul reminds me of the position im in
making music all on my own. Im scared to say it but im giving up hope in making music , after all the money i have spent on equipment - pedals , amp , guitars etc etc , i joined a band once and the stuff i played wast working with what they wanted so i left

i think if i found hope in my music again id leave my job and leave home just to make music with ppl who have the same ideas as me

Post by Guest »

i ment radioshack and paul (cant edit post coz im not a member)

id be up for the dreamweapon gig !
botox
Known user

Post by botox »

Swallowtail wrote:
i think if i found hope in my music again id leave my job and leave home just to make music with ppl who have the same ideas as me
Leaving your job to leave home to meet someone to make music with? Must be an album title in there somewhere. All you need are the drugs.
=)(@

huh!

Post by =)(@ »

If the Spacemen 3 reformed you got to have the first, the best, the Bassless, primalness of the 3, Sonic, Jason, and Natty. All that bass is fluffiness, turn the treble up, gives that amphetimine buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of the Cramps that the 3 loved better than the VU.
paulM

Post by paulM »

NEVER stop doing music swallowtail ...... if your doing it on your own it will only get better ....... i recently got given a PC with cubase on it .....i've got it sussed enough to record individual tracks but each thing is a learning experience ..one day i found the reverse effect and was blown away i was saying to myself "fuck me who needs an alesis midiverb" i can do me own kevin shields here .

today i decided to try and record again , it is a struggle coz it bores me shitless , mixing , adding reverb adding chorus , getting the volume right , re doing guitar about 9 times ,trying to keep in time, not being able to get a good sweep sound from the keyboard ..then having a power cut ......... finally i managed to get a few instruments rolling and now im working on my 4th proper produced song "heaven's above" ,im happy coz it sounds a mix between "honey" and "seagreen serenades" by silver apples ,

radioshack unfortunatly i am scared to leave the real world , im 19 years old and have been in and out of jobs but now i've finally found a decent job that pay's well ..... my secret dream though is to quit it and play music but it's too much of a chance.

i have to admit i joined a project playing metal music ( i hate metal) but i was doing effects and sounds and i have to admit we all felt a vibe and i admit we had some good shit going on ...i think it sounded like monster magnet ,we amazed alot of people actually .

i think there needs to be more bands today which send the message of the blues out , i think the white stripes did that very well with their first 3 lp's , however i think there are alot of new bands with the so called "garage sound" whom quite frankly insult and discrace the blues and 60's garage sound ...... the only contempory who does it good like the white stripes did is billy childish . i am a snob and i think new music is bollox . old music is far more interesting GO AND BUY A FREAKBEAT COMPILATION or GO BUY BEHIND THE MAGNOLIA CURTAIN and see the greatness in she's the one that's got it or hey high school baby ....... or get manically depressed at a howlin wolf LP

paul
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

radioshack wrote:
I'm trying to start a band up here in boring old Scotland, it's just full of podgy kids listening to really bad pop/metal shit... but once again being Glaswegian holds me back.
Didn't stop Frank Ferdinand. Well they say they're Glaswegian... :wink:

If your serious with regards to jamming i'm up for it - There is rehearsal spaces near where I live that are fairly cheap, and you can smoke.

lets form a good band with loads of flange

new year revolution starts here
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

BzaInSpace wrote:If your serious with regards to jamming i'm up for it - There is rehearsal spaces near where I live that are fairly cheap, and you can smoke.

Promise you'll keep us up to date with regards to this musical endeavour - would be quite interested to see if anything comes of it!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ash it will happen if radioshack is up for it.... his thoughts on glas ring true
I mentioned on another post that I thinking of jamming with people.

i'm determined to make it happen, as Iggy says theres nothing like the feeling of heavy electricity from an amp on loud as hell.

Post by Guest »

BzaInSpace wrote:
radioshack wrote:
I'm trying to start a band up here in boring old Scotland, it's just full of podgy kids listening to really bad pop/metal shit... but once again being Glaswegian holds me back.
Didn't stop Frank Ferdinand. Well they say they're Glaswegian... :wink:

If your serious with regards to jamming i'm up for it - There is rehearsal spaces near where I live that are fairly cheap, and you can smoke.

new year revolution starts here
Yeah Franz are so full of shit. The singer's actually English, Snow Patrol are Irish, and both the Beta Band and Primal Scream had/have English members. The only authentically Scottish bands I can think of are Travis (meh) Biffy Clyro (meh) and Speedway (ouchouchouch).

BZA, where are you located? I'm just so bored I'm willing to get the hell out of here to try and make a go of it. Unlike PaulM I haven't really found a decent job that would make me stay, and a bout of poverty would no doubt be character building.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

...The Proclaimers are as authentic as you get

I'm very central...PM me ...that is you radioshack?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i will be your frontline stinger.
i mean :o i would do the drumming :roll: through the internet.

really, if i would be jobless i would spend my last coins to come over and do the "job" there. in scotland.

or if i would be a fucking rich then i would invite all of you to Monte Carlo and music making would bloom. (ALL OF YOU)

i'm bad at making sense, i know, but still i have to state that i am missing some international activity in making space rock.

we are losing time. we have to be more creative.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Heh, I'd put my hand up for that, Veiko...

In the meantime, I search for more locally-based, like-minded musicians to fill out The Transparent Radiation project. Slowly but surely.

And, although it may draw some flack, I'm going to admit to being quite a fan of the first Travis album. Definitely has its moments.

Aren't Belle & Sebastian an authentically Scottish band?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

VEIKO... you can be drummer...singer....and dancer?

see you in Monte Carlo... :twisted:

Post by Guest »

ash wrote:Heh, I'd put my hand up for that, Veiko...

In the meantime, I search for more locally-based, like-minded musicians to fill out The Transparent Radiation project. Slowly but surely.

And, although it may draw some flack, I'm going to admit to being quite a fan of the first Travis album. Definitely has its moments.

Aren't Belle & Sebastian an authentically Scottish band?
Haven't heard the 1st Travis record, although I have the multi million selling The Man Who. On that album there are some decent songs, particularly non-singles such as Luv and The last of the Laughter. They're good, but didn't change my world.

Belle and Sebastian are ok, but a bit lame in places. Proclaimers are local heroes, and Mogwai are Mogwai. There's always Deacon Blue and Wet Wet Wet too. :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

For all those seeking Scottish refreshment instead of all the pish that is pumped out of Scottland (Darius et all) check out the following:

Teenage Fanclub - Probably the greatest Scottish band of modern times (IMHO)...

Fiend - Brendan O'Hare (TFC's old drummer) explores some experimental and gothic soundscapes. Amazing stuff...

BMX Bandits - Eternal ne'er-do-wells who are kings of underrated pop tunes and beach boys-influenced catchiness

Macrocosmica - The way heavy metal should sound! Brendan's other band and a mean team they are too. If you like your sound like Paranoid-era Sabbath, you'll love this lot! Dirty and heavy as hell!

Primary 5 - Another old drummer of TFC, Paul Quinn, has released a solo album of beautiful Gene Clarke-esque loveliness... catchy, nice, upbeat tunes... and a true gentleman too!

Jim McCulloch - Former BMX Bandits guitarist who's recently returned to playing live and the release of his solo album last month to critical acclaim should help gather a good following...

Check them out if you can... you might find something you like! :)

Post by Guest »

delgados?
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Then there's the old school of the "Sound of Young Scotland" bands like Josef K, Orange Juice and the Fire Engines. Try Win or Altered Images for some fizzy pop scottish syle.

But stay away from the scottish band equilivent of a sexually transmitted desease, Simple Minds :o
a beautiful noise
Known user

don't give up faith yet.

this is a true story, hopefully this will inspire you to continue being a starving artist.

i will briefly give you the history of 'a beautiful noise'.

it started out as a girl and me. doing the acoustic duo in the vein of mazzy star. she decided to move to texas and get married. fine. next i met a guy that that was just as eager to make and play music. thru him we found THE MOST INEPT keyboard player in history, i mean he had problems counting to four! we found a drummer that couldn't keep time. a bas player that had never played before.

this was over four years ago.

fast forward to today, the guitarist and i are still doing it, we have an uber brilliant bassist. our drummer is wonderful. and we even added a cello player to our lineup. and just ta boot, we have a very talented young lady playing keyboards. it takes time and lots of patience.

so whats my point? if you really i mean really want to play music, stick with it, it is going to be hell the first few years, but trust me, eventually you will find the right people, or at least people that are willing to show up 3 times a week to your dirty smelly dingy practice room.

and just a footnote, we start the long daunting task of recording this wednesday. it should be done being mixed (well it has to be) by the last day of february.

xxxshonnxxx
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

slim wrote:
But stay away from the scottish band equilivent of a sexually transmitted desease, Simple Minds :o
I'll stick my neck out here.

Simple Minds made some genuinely remarkable music in 1981. Some of the songs from 'Sons and Fascination' and 'Sister Feelings Call' are really fantastic. Theme For Great Cities set the pace for many dance tracks 7 or 8 years later and I still think its sounds completely incredible today. Add to that Love Song, In Trance As Mission, Sound in 70 Cities... This is not chart music, rather a more psychedelic/trance electronic/guitar combo of inspired originality.

Sure a few years later they went down the pan, but I'd recommend anyone check out the tracks I mention as they are not the Simple Minds your pre-conception might suggest.
runtathelitter

do you know what you're talking about?

Post by runtathelitter »

runcible wrote:
slim wrote:
I'll stick my neck out here.

Simple Minds made some genuinely remarkable music in 1981. Some of the songs from 'Sons and Fascination' and 'Sister Feelings Call' are really fantastic. Theme For Great Cities set the pace for many dance tracks 7 or 8 years later and I still think its sounds completely incredible today. Add to that Love Song, In Trance As Mission, Sound in 70 Cities... This is not chart music, rather a more psychedelic/trance electronic/guitar combo of inspired originality.

Sure a few years later they went down the pan, but I'd recommend anyone check out the tracks I mention as they are not the Simple Minds your pre-conception might suggest.

LOLOLOL. Runcible you kid me, psychedelic? Have you ever took a trip?? Or have you got your your shitey 80's record collection on eBay again? Simple Minds I don't fuckin' believe you next you'll be saying Duran Duran wrote some intelligent lyrics reflecting the problems of the middle classes surviving the excesses of living in Thatcher's Britain.
a beautiful noise
Known user

sorry, my post above went in the wong category.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s - simple minds?!? are you high?!?! but i will humour you and check out the songs you listed.
a beautiful noise
Known user

waite a second, lets not forget to add the jesus and mary chain to the list of scottish acts.

xxxshonnxxx
C.C. Ryder

arrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH?!!!!

Post by C.C. Ryder »

i think there needs to be more bands today which send the message of the blues out , i think the white stripes did that very well with their first 3 lp's , however i think there are alot of new bands with the so called "garage sound" whom quite frankly insult and discrace the blues and 60's garage sound ...... the only contempory who does it good like the white stripes did is billy childish . i am a snob and i think new music is bollox . old music is far more interesting GO AND BUY A FREAKBEAT COMPILATION or GO BUY BEHIND THE MAGNOLIA CURTAIN and see the greatness in she's the one that's got it or hey high school baby ....... or get manically depressed at a howlin wolf LP

paul[/quote]

Paul read your own posts.

Play that guitar, unplug the broadband. don't talk do.

How can you list these classic records and be visiting this Spiritualized site. Those records got recorded in mostly one day, a Stz's album takes on a guess 2 years to record and produce.

See the truth.
dork 1

poets

Post by dork 1 »

YOU DORKS.

The POETS = Best Scottish 60's psyche band. Nice 12 string work, creepy and baroque.
Chan

Wong

Post by Chan »

a beautiful noise wrote:sorry, my post above went in the wong category.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s - simple minds?!? are you high?!?! but i will humour you and check out the songs you listed.
are you sure you don't mean the Wong Dynasty??

Don't listen to Simple Minds they are awful.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: do you know what you're talking about?

Post by runcible »

runtathelitter wrote:

LOLOLOL. Runcible you kid me, psychedelic? Have you ever took a trip?? Or have you got your your shitey 80's record collection on eBay again? Simple Minds I don't fuckin' believe you next you'll be saying Duran Duran wrote some intelligent lyrics reflecting the problems of the middle classes surviving the excesses of living in Thatcher's Britain.
What a dipstick - possibly the most idiotic response I've ever seen here. You obviously haven't heard the tracks I mention. You'll be sitting there having heard 'Promised You a Miracle' or 'Don't You Forget About Me' and be laughing away like the ignoramus you obviously are. Do you know the songs I've discussed? I suspect not. Simple Minds are not a great band, they just happened to hit a rich vein in the early 80's and made a series of songs that are most surprising in quality.

Let me pitch something - The Human League. Oh ho ho - you'll be thinking of 'Don't You Want Me' and all the hits they had and dismiss anyone who might regard their ability to be worth more than this hit fodder. Try looking deeper and see early Human League (i.e. pre-chart popularity) material for what it is, which would apply in the exact same manner as Simple Minds for the period I mention. Go and listen - you'll see what I mean.

Back up your uninformed dismissal with concrete facts rather than show yourself to be thick. Check out those tracks - they are genuinely psychedelic (as is early Human League material but its not something I particularly care for to be honest). Ask anyone who made early era house music what they think of 'Theme For Great Cities'. Your pre-conception might show you to be as ignorant and plain stupid as your reply apparently is.

Duran Duran? Deary me - if you're going to liken bands from an era why not lump Spiritualized in with Ned's Atomic Dustbin? Or Thousand Yard Stare? Or the Manic Street Preachers? Same sort of time, all big players in the indie scene, so they MUST sound the same. Right?

Post by Guest »

good response runcible, and don't forget "i travel", but generaly speaking they were still shit though eh? :wink:
AN OBVIOUS PSEUDONYM

arrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH.

Post by AN OBVIOUS PSEUDONYM »

Jake the Snake wrote

[/quote]

Paul read your own posts.

Play that guitar, unplug the broadband. don't talk do.

How can you list these classic records and be visiting this Spiritualized site. Those records got recorded in mostly one day, a Stz's album takes on a guess 2 years to record and produce.

See the truth.[/quote]

THINGS MUST BE QUIET ELSEWHERE.

Cant move for the BLOWHARDS all of a sudden.

The truth has long since BEAN forgot.
a beautiful noise
Known user

whoa! and you people get on my ass for spitting vile at other people.

but you have to admit runci, finding one or two gems from artists like simple minds is like picking the peanuts out of the poop. why bother.

but i will, i am very curious to hear their "psychedelic" tune.

xxxshonnxxx
paulm

Post by paulm »

C.C RYDER ..... I NEED A FUCKING BAND TO HELP ME DO A DAY'S WORK OF AN ALBUM ...... BEEN MEETING GUY'S AND NON OF THEM CUT THE SCORE

however i don't have broadband can't afford it , and i spend 10 minutes online and write like i'm on speed ?

my own spiritualized influenced songs take a month to record and a month to mix ...... takes the piss .....i dunno how jason can do it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

a beautiful noise wrote:whoa! and you people get on my ass for spitting vile at other people.

but you have to admit runci, finding one or two gems from artists like simple minds is like picking the peanuts out of the poop. why bother.

but i will, i am very curious to hear their "psychedelic" tune.

xxxshonnxxx
Theme For Great Cities practically invented trance. A house band called Corporation of One did a weird house version called Real Life which samples Bohemian Rhapsody (!). Check out the original as its genuinely superb.

I stand by my opinion here - a great deal of the music on the albums I mention is very good indeed, AND quite psychedelic. The guitarist, Charlie something, played brilliantly on those tracks. A lot of the other material is indeed 'poop'.

Another odd slant - I heard a fantastic house track by the Thomson Twins. Now that is a truly appalling 80s band, yet somehow they made this 12" of some stature. It was probably remixed into oblivion by someone else but that isn't the point.

I fired off as I felt the post in question was completely ignorant - something I wouldn't accuse you, abn, of. But let's not go back there!
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Runcible, you are correct, the long version of I Travel, Love song, the remix of Sweat in Bullets, in fact all those early Virgin singles and the Sons and Fascination and Sisters Feelings Call albums are good (so is most of New Gold Dream too) but what I didn't want to encourage is anybody standing in the cow-pat that is Simple Minds post '83, not without medical care on hand and adult supervision.

Post by Guest »

where you from paulm? your the type of person id wanna make music with , bit of passion and time

i was thinking about making a song over the net with some ppl (something i once said id never do) but id need all the porgrams and a little help doing it , anyone tried this before and did it work? , i mean id prefer to use my pedal board ive built up over the last few years but i cant see that happening sadly..
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

slim wrote:Runcible, you are correct, the long version of I Travel, Love song, the remix of Sweat in Bullets, in fact all those early Virgin singles and the Sons and Fascination and Sisters Feelings Call albums are good (so is most of New Gold Dream too) but what I didn't want to encourage is anybody standing in the cow-pat that is Simple Minds post '83, not without medical care on hand and adult supervision.
Glad someone else has the courage to say what's true. Well put - I agree with every word!
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah doing music over the net is a bit weird. you definetely lose any vibe you are trying to create. i was working with a guy in london, i eventully ended up moving over to london with him.

so it can be done, it takes patince and everybody involved is going to need cakewalk/pro-tools/garage band.

just don't get carried away with all of the filters/envelopes/delay that you can use. you'll never end up finishing.

let me know if you need a thick low end laid down. i'd be up for it.

xxxshonnxxx
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Ballboy are another excellent Scottish band, they've just released their latest album, 'The Royal Theatre'. Well worth checking out.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

a beautiful noise wrote:
....so it can be done, it takes patince and everybody involved is going to need cakewalk/pro-tools/garage band
just don't get carried away with all of the filters/envelopes/delay that you can use. you'll never end up finishing.
let me know if you need a thick low end laid down. i'd be up for it.

xxxshonnxxx
I'm definitely up for that.
a beautiful noise
Known user

yeah no worries, i have access to catwalk/protools/garageband. ohh ooppss you will also need an m-box.

i will be in london/manchester/glasgow in late march early april.

hopefully we can have something done or started by then!

xxxshonnxxx