drugs

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

disorder
Known user

drugs

Post by disorder »

this is something i've always been slightly curious about. Now I normally don't give two craps about the personal lives of the musicians i adore, but since everything from sp3 to most spiritualized talks about drug use, this is a slightly different case.

Now, I know Jason is very private and doesnt talk about his personal life that much, but was his drug use going on all through out spiritualized's existence up until 'let it come down' (the twelve steps)? its also interesting since many users of hard drugs don't make it out, but it seems like Jason is fine and has kicked it (or it seems like it) and it hasn't ruined his life like so many others.
juliette
Known user

Re: drugs

Post by juliette »

drug use only hurts those who arent using
The Sprawl
Known user

Post by The Sprawl »

The previous comment(by Juliette) is one of those typically specious and flippant aphorisms so beloved of people who advocate 'tough love' for drug users. Exactly how shortsighted do you have to be to imagine you can sum up one of the most complicated aspects of modern culture with a throwaway sentence like that?
So it doesn't hurt when someone gets thrown in jail purely because they've used something they can't help using? It doesn't hurt when you're lonely, confused, scared and rattling? By the same token, doesn't it hurt when the user sees the damage they have caused to their family?
Is it now so commonly accepted that all junkies are useless, heartless pricks that people can dehumanise them to such an extent?
I knew someone who had spent his entire life, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, fighting a depression so debilitating he frequently couldn't move from his bed in the morning. Only after trying therapy, counselling, group counselling, guidebooks and every kind of anti-depressant under the sun did he lose faith and resort to opiates. I've met many others who had been in a similarly purgatorial situation and had chosen heroin only after having exhausted every other option.
The world is not black and white.
I would never try and give the impression that all addicts are wonderful people, nor am I saying that all addicts have extenuating circumstances to excuse their dalliances with narcotics, but you cannot make such sweeping generalisations when you're talking about heroin.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Listen Sprawl i find it very sweet you trying to DEFEND $26!

HOWEVER
HE
IS
STILL
A
JUNKIE
PRICK.

GOOD DAY!
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

And I happen to like JULIETTE!!!! alot! 8)

so FUCK you and your SYRINGE!

kapiche? :twisted: :evil:
juliette
Known user

Post by juliette »

The Sprawl wrote:The previous comment(by Juliette) is one of those typically specious and flippant aphorisms so beloved of people who advocate 'tough love' for drug users. Exactly how shortsighted do you have to be to imagine you can sum up one of the most complicated aspects of modern culture with a throwaway sentence like that?
So it doesn't hurt when someone gets thrown in jail purely because they've used something they can't help using? It doesn't hurt when you're lonely, confused, scared and rattling? By the same token, doesn't it hurt when the user sees the damage they have caused to their family?
Is it now so commonly accepted that all junkies are useless, heartless pricks that people can dehumanise them to such an extent?
I knew someone who had spent his entire life, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, fighting a depression so debilitating he frequently couldn't move from his bed in the morning. Only after trying therapy, counselling, group counselling, guidebooks and every kind of anti-depressant under the sun did he lose faith and resort to opiates. I've met many others who had been in a similarly purgatorial situation and had chosen heroin only after having exhausted every other option.
The world is not black and white.
I would never try and give the impression that all addicts are wonderful people, nor am I saying that all addicts have extenuating circumstances to excuse their dalliances with narcotics, but you cannot make such sweeping generalisations when you're talking about heroin.
i wasnt advocating tough love
far from it
so i'll try and dig myself out of the hole...
it was meant to be funny
you know
not mean
it was meant like if your high your okay
and if when your high you can
do stuff
not everyone takes heroin cos they're like so depressed
some people just take it cos its good
and not everyone is in the gutter with it
(some are just climbing out)
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

YOu make your choices for what feels right at the time. We can make right or wrong choices in other aspects of life apart from drugs.
People arent judged so harshly when they make questionable decisions in the other areas. So maybe people are just tryin to be 'cool' or 'controversial'
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

WINNERS DON'T USE RUGS

Post by BzaInSpace »

"...take the 'U' out of DRUGS and what are you left with?

DRGS.

And that's no good to anyone..."

IF YOU ARE READING THIS - I guess you are addicted to THE NET.

:x
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

ORBITAL wrote:YOu make your choices for what feels right at the time. We can make right or wrong choices in other aspects of life apart from drugs.
People arent judged so harshly when they make questionable decisions in the other areas. So maybe people are just tryin to be 'cool' or 'controversial'
Blimey. Rarely has such an awkward topic been dealt with quite so succintly as this. I take hat off to Mr O for this simple yet excellent viewpoint.

I prefer you Muscles when your tongue is in cheek. At least humour was central to the view point. Out and out insults do you down, dude. You may be insane but most of time you're at least funny.
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

I don't think we're ever going to get a straight (oops) answer to this question. J does a pretty good job--in this media-saturated day a TREMENDOUS job--of keeping his doings to himself. For this we should probably be thankful, and it's really so-little-our-business that even to say "it isn't our business" is to make it too much so.

Also, I think that Juliette posting is Jason's girlfriend/wife. (Or at least the producer of his videos...I've always assumed they were one and the same.) Her posts suggest a similar attitude to J's, at least as expressed in his lyrics. (Which never advocated rehab except in the most tongue-in-cheek fashion.)
The Sprawl
Known user

Post by The Sprawl »

Muscles wrote:Listen Sprawl i find it very sweet you trying to DEFEND $26!

HOWEVER
HE
IS
STILL
A
JUNKIE
PRICK.

GOOD DAY!
How dare you call him a 'junkie prick'! He's not a junkie.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to defend $26, I was defending myself, as well as people I've met over the years.

I've no idea about the details of $26's lifestyle and if he is or was a user. Who gives a fuck. Why is it written in stone that the word junkie has to be used in the pejorative sense?

Sorry for offending your friend Muscles. She actually seems very nice, and I feel a tiny bit bad now.

By the way Muscles, how'd you get such a great physique?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

The Sprawl wrote:

"How dare you call him a 'junkie prick'! He's not a junkie."

Ha ha! What about the 'prick' part though?

[/quote]
The Sprawl
Known user

Post by The Sprawl »

Um, that was meant to be the(admittedly puerile) joke.
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

Well, Spaceman might still use, but there is no way he's still strung out.
I mean, I seriously doubt he's touring America and overseas with a dwindiling stash while putting on show after show, night after night.
Sure, people have done it, but I didn't get that vibe at any of the shows I saw. What with all the heightened security these days its gettin' harder and harder to be a travelling junkie.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

while we're on the subject of drugs, has anyone picked any mushrooms yet this year, seeing as we're in the season.
I'll be out looking in my usual haunt, Cannon Hill Park, next to the Edgbaston cricket ground if anyone cares to join me tomorrow (Tue).

(mmmmmmmmushrooms)
redbridge
Known user

Post by redbridge »

Hello, high? are you? yes, well that explains it.

ohh what a beautiful feeling, so free to touch the sky. unless it becomes a problem why come back down? the world can be a drag full of people bickering and feeding you bullshit from start to finish so why hang around. just make sure you dont lose yourself on the way up, or down, for that matter and never ever confuse it for true happiness. ohh and girlfriends can be a bit hard to keep, but then again i always figure if i meet the right one then i wont need drugs anyways. thats a stupid statement but ill take it back when ive learned my lesson.
red+bridge=good
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Forgive my ignorance but what does "tough love" mean?
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

it means...
since we Love you sooo much, we are going to kick you out of the house,
never give you any money, never bail you out of jail and disown you until you meet our criteria.
geee Love sure is rough(or tough)
redbridge
Known user

Post by redbridge »

and its intended to be for your benefit
red+bridge=good
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Drugs are nice, but collecting seashells is so much better!

Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

runcible wrote:[
Blimey. Rarely has such an awkward topic been dealt with quite so succintly as this. I take hat off to Mr O for this simple yet excellent viewpoint.

I prefer you Muscles when your tongue is in cheek. At least humour was central to the view point. Out and out insults do you down, dude. You may be insane but most of time you're at least funny.
DUDE! WHO told you i was INSANE? who let the CAT OUT OF THE BAG?

man i thought i could trust my shrink! note to self FIRE MY DOCTOR!

um...RUNCIBLE? i was just joking about all of it. I read somewhere on here that 26 used to be a HEROIN JUNKIE! if you type in 26 TEARDROPS you will find EVERYTHING he has typed and you can find what he talks about.

His problems with PETE stem from his own yearning for the POPPYSEED!

That much EDUCATION I have had...

PETE is a fine songwriter and a Gent!

SO fuck HIM and FUCK YOU!

kapiche? :P
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

RUNAWAY!

didn't you get the MEMO!

these HUGE PICTURES slow down RUNCIBLE'S MACHINE MASSIVELY!

CEASE AND DESIST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!KJrosDFJKCASO'FJ@!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Muscles wrote:RUNAWAY!

didn't you get the MEMO!

Two words: Broadband
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

On that note...... Does anyone have a copy of "FUCKED UP INSIDE" they could send me.

I cant get the feicin thing anywhere.

I will gladly return the favor.

Peace...in da middle east :wink:
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

i just got a copy in the post for you hedspace....

:)

should be with you soon
enjoy!
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

U_nderscore

Check your mail

thanks again :D

If you dont jump, you wont land.
The Sprawl
Known user

Post by The Sprawl »

Well, it's a little unnerving to find out I have something in common with $26. I still don't like Gram Parsons though.
Did anyone see the BBC4 doc about him a few days ago?
How did they manage to turn a story that involved, amongst other things, Emmylou Harris, Keith Richards, a pretty little trust fund kid who OD'd at an early age and a bucketload of brown into such a soporific waste of television scheduling?
At least they didn't play too much of his music, that would have tipped me over the edge.
Giant peach
New user

Post by Giant peach »

[quote="runaway"]Drugs are nice, but collecting seashells is so much better!

Collecting seashells on drugs. Collecting drugs on seashells.
lemhawklord
Known user

Post by lemhawklord »

Sweaty arrogant dickless liar who ascribed to nothing higher than a jab from prick to needle straight to betrayal and disgrace the conscience showing not a trace...
If you want to get into it you've got to get out of it
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

VELVETY - VELVETEEN

Post by BzaInSpace »

Really, Lord of the Lem Hawks, that's no way to speak about fucking LOU REED!

He said he was sorry!

He wrote 'SISTER RAY'!

Lem?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

runaway wrote:
Muscles wrote:RUNAWAY!

didn't you get the MEMO!

Two words: Broadband
Looks like one word to me.

Four words for you: 'Middle of the countryside'. That's where I live. Broadband? As much chance of seeing that here as Pete and Jason moving in together.
Last edited by runcible on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Muscles wrote:
DUDE! WHO told you i was INSANE? who let the CAT OUT OF THE BAG?

man i thought i could trust my shrink! note to self FIRE MY DOCTOR!

um...RUNCIBLE? i was just joking about all of it. I read somewhere on here that 26 used to be a HEROIN JUNKIE! if you type in 26 TEARDROPS you will find EVERYTHING he has typed and you can find what he talks about.

His problems with PETE stem from his own yearning for the POPPYSEED!

That much EDUCATION I have had...

PETE is a fine songwriter and a Gent!

SO fuck HIM and FUCK YOU!

kapiche? :P
Everyone knows you're insane. It leaps out of every word you've written.

Fuck Pete because he is a fine songwriter and a gent? Hmmm. Your train of thought has escaped from the cat's bag and got a little tangled man. I guess that's what made you reach for the expletive reaction button again. Nice prose though.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

Collecting seashells on drugs. Collecting drugs on seashells
collecting seashells to take drugs to collect seashells to.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

runcible wrote:Four words for you: 'Middle of the country side'.
Looks like five words to me...
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Looks like 27 words when you're on mushrooms...

;)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

runaway wrote:
runcible wrote:Four words for you: 'Middle of the country side'.
Looks like five words to me...
Can't do much about editing/poor spelling/drunkenness mate. I live in the middle, not the side, anyway.
vigil
Known user

well well well...

Post by vigil »

seashells...drugs....you kids
put a new twist to "sally sold seashells on the seashore"...

bitch ain't selling no seashells goddamit!
still falling
Muscles
Known user

Re: WINNERS DON'T USE RUGS

Post by Muscles »

BzaInSpace wrote:"...take the 'U' out of DRUGS and what are you left with?

DRGS.

And that's no good to anyone..."

IF YOU ARE READING THIS - I guess you are addicted to THE NET.

NET JUNKIE.

MUSCLES - where's the album?

:x
BZA just mailed it off to LONDON, ENGLAND for more mixing! There are some DEMO'S loaded at http://www.ilovewitchcraft.com "I BLEED GASOLINE" "JUST ADMIT YOU LOVE THE VIOLENCE and "I THINK I'VE GONE HOLLYWOOD" are interesting songs. BUT you are gonna need BROADBAND! to hear it!

There are some LOVE SONGS on there. And the pictures inside the CD will feature a well known man with his precious THUNDERBIRD so should be some entertainment value.

A very capable engineer has taken on the assignment so ain't gonna be too much longer.

I bought a VAN and I have been given a storefront at THE MORRISON HOTEL to practice and make EXTREME AMOUNTS OF GUITAR FEEDBACK NOISE as to wake the SOUL OF JAMES DOUGLAS MORRISON.

who once resided within these walls...THE MORRISON HOTEL album by THE DOORS is fucking brilliant. If you ain't got that one! Yer missing out!

RUNCIBLE i think you know what I mean! I was referring to $26 and YOU!

SONIC has always been nice to me!

got a nice little note from him the other day in fact!

$26 is a decent writer but he tries a bit too hard to get people to FEEL the way he feels...

And he does tend to MONOPOLIZE the conversations with his BIBLICAL SIZED commentaries on how much he hates RADIOHEAD.

I mean "CREEP" is fucking fantastic!

KID A strange shit. THOM YORKE seems like a decent guy!

Gets a bit annoying when everyone tells you how FANTASTIC they are but if you hear it at someone's house it's not too bad.

BLUR on the otherhand ! I think BRAITHWAITE is on to something!

The thing about ROCK CRITICISM is! It is not always accurate...if you look at REVIEWS of LED ZEPPELIN back in the 70's! They were not very good!

But everyone knows that is total bullshit!

THE STOOGES were also not treated that kindly in THE PRESS.

There are alot of reasons WHY bands get treated like shit and alot of them have nothing to do with THE MUSIC at all..., the personalities, MOOD OF REVIEWER, MOOD OF THE COUNTRY, affiliations, blah blah blah...

isn't it fun to just get something like TRANSIENT WAVES, SIGUR ROS,THE ROYAL TRUX or THE WHITE STRIPES in the beginning and fucking sit there without anyone telling you...

it is good.

you just fucking KNOW.

so...you go out to the shop and get your hands on it.

What I found most egregious was IAN GOODCHILD ramming AMAZING GRACE down my throat, because of his EXUBERANCE and CONVICTION!

So I raced to AMOEBA and got the thing promptly and I think CARRUTHERS and I sat here and laughed our asses off at HOW FUCKING SHIT it is!

That is a fact!

The drabness of the ARTWORK and GRAY sad bullshit may be HOW Jason feels but WHO CARES! we don't all feel bad!

We need something to LIFT US UP!

Not make us sad! LET IT COME DOWN had that good mood to it! i think...

That is WHY ! THE WHITE STRIPES! fucking RULE!

"I WANNA BE THE BOY THAT WARM'S YOUR MOTHERS HEART"

now that is such a fantastic song! SUCH a nice statement and something the world fucking needs!

VIVA LA JACK WHITE!

We also found out he will be THE BOY to break your fucking FACE WIDE OPEN! if you don't do what he wants! so that shows he is human but in any event. 8)

HE helps his friends and sticks with his hometown and CHAMPIONS unknown artists in a NOBEL way, the way NIRVANA tried to do...and SONIC YOUTH do it too!

That is what it should be about!

"THE DRUGS DON'T WORK"!

even ASHCROFT KNOWS THAT!

and if GEORGE W BUSH wins this election I am gonna OVERDOSE on BABY ASPIRIN!

god fucking help us all!

ALAN where can I buy BLOEMFONTAIN in Los Angeles?

That all being said i miss IAN GOODCHILD alot more than DOLLARS!

i hope he feels better though! :roll:
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

I shot this picture in DETROIT at THE GOLD DOLLAR which is about as big as a NEW YORK STUDIO APARTMENT.

JENNIFER was fun to talk to..., PUSSY GALORE, JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION. She knows a couple little tricks...

BZA "THIS LITTLE LIFE OF MINE" is "I WANNA BE YOUR DOG" of course you like it! it's THE STOOGES!

Not too worried about AMAZING.

LAZER GUIDED MELODIES is the one ya have to look out for.

CHEERS.

ELEPHANT or AMAZING GRACE? hmm...a tough one! 8)

come on BZA! put down the CRACK!

i'll be back when the record is complete!

CIAO.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Image in typical PUNK ROCK style I used the WHEELCHAIR to get in FREE to the SHOW!

People were buying me drinks all night!

They thought I had been to VIETNAM!

And I guess in ways...i fucking have!

CHEERS!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Rock 'n' roll needs Muscles.
He's the ghost that's been MIA.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Muscles wrote:Image in typical PUNK ROCK style I used the WHEELCHAIR to get in FREE to the SHOW!

People were buying me drinks all night!

They thought I had been to VIETNAM!

And I guess in ways...i fucking have!

CHEERS!
Holy fuck, man. That's just wrong... :shock:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ho ho ho...did you do the thing where you pretend to be able to walk again?

"It's a miracle!"

Sick, yes ... but then so is life.

Cheers