SFA ~ Songbook

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

SFA ~ Songbook

Post by TheWarmth »

Activity has been waning recently here, so I thought I'd throw out a few topics:

Super Furry Animals release a singles collection, at least in the UK, this week called "Songbook." I urge anyone who have never gotten into them to check this out. I firmly believe that they are one of the best current acts going. In addition, a 20 minute live version of The Man Don't Give A Fuck has also been recently released ... I suppose this is more for the hardcore fans (should be receiveing my copy soon).

If anyone has serious doubts about SFA and doesn't feel like purchasing the album, feel free to PM me ... I'm willing to burn a few SFA compiliations of my own for those who have a sincere interest.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I think the furries are brilliant.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
lazer_guided
Known user

Post by lazer_guided »

awesome collection of tunes.
jason_godman
Known user

Post by jason_godman »

I went to see them at the Royal festival hall on Friday. Twas quite outstanding. Gruff's voice never fails to amaze me. I was also at the gig where they recorded the 20min mandon'tgiveafuck. I have a new stereo system in my car and that sounds particularly bad (as in good).
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Listening to it now for the first time. It's easy to forget how many glorious songs SFA have. Track after track.

Best album I've bought in a while, even if it is a 'greatest hits'.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

You should check out Fonda 500 if ye like SFA :)
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

I'll second that, all the Fonda 500 albums are excellent a great experimental pop band and much under-rated
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i'm a SFA virgin; would love to be enlightened with a compilation. :)

dk
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

wow decay, what timing you have, they just released a collection for people in your position.

xxxshonnxxx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

davedecay wrote:i'm a SFA virgin; would love to be enlightened with a compilation. :)

dk
Hey Dave,
Send me a PM with your address and I'll post you an SFA comp that'll be more than just their singles ... should prove a bit more interesting than Songbook (not that that isn't a good SFA comp by any means).
ProDelgado
Known user

Post by ProDelgado »

I got the CD, with the cool pop-up sleeve...

They also released a rather fine DVD collection of all their videos, which is equally essential.
sunray
Known user

Re: SFA ~ Return

Post by sunray »

Surprisingly, this was the only thread here for the Super Furries but as I dislike multiple threads for the same band/topic i've decided to resurrect it for the news of SFA's return.

Mwng gets the deluxe treatment and a few gigs lined up for May, hopefully they'll decide to do more.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/f ... -six-years
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Re: SFA ~ Songbook

Post by James T »

I can't wait to see them again, incredible live. Seen them twice, once in 97 supporting Blur and again on their last tour at Bangor University. So great.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Great news. Love Mwng. Have been missing them lately - American interior I thought was the first time they really needed to get the band back together. One of the all time greatest British bands imo.

There is a definite change of tact post songbook (vol 1 - will there ever be a vol 2?!). I actually prob prefer the latter day albums, but I know I'm in a minority on that.

Going to throw on Phantom Power (one of the few truly audacious anti-war albums of modern times) & play it loud.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If the reunion doesn't result in a new album, I'm going to be hugely disappointed. Better not get my hopes up too high, I suppose.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:If the reunion doesn't result in a new album, I'm going to be hugely disappointed. Better not get my hopes up too high, I suppose.
I dunno...they're all been off recording their own things for a while so it seems a good time to regroup and record something new. I know there's the re-release of Mwng, but i feel like getting the whole band together is so akin to aligning the stars that they'd be keen to make the most of it. about bloody time i say!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I have all the albums (on cd) and i confess that they don't do a massive amount for me, I may swerve the rugby scrum for tickets on Wednesday as I have loads of gigs planned already and Mr Dots and Loops keeps adding more :wink:
The albums are fine and I don't dislike them, they just leave a me a bit non plussed. I listened to Radiator and Guerilla last night and the spark never ignited for me really
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Das Koolies. They appear to be SFA minus Gruff. https://daskoolies.bandcamp.com/releases
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five